How do I hook up two amps to one head unit with one pairt of RCA cables
Refer to the installation and removal instructions for the head unit for specific guidelines needed to slide the unit out from the mounting chassis. Depending on your particular setup, either one of these options may work out for the best. To submit your questions or ideas, or to simply learn more about It Still Works, contact us. The short answer is that you can use any number or combination of power amps in a car audio setup as long as you wire them in properly. Typically, power cables run from the battery, through the vehicle's firewall, owensboro hook up underneath the left or right side interior rocker trim molding and carpet.
Replace the interior trim pieces. Place the head unit in a safe area. In some cases, you may find that a single remote turn-on lead is unable to handle the current draw demanded by multiple amps. Wiring in one amplifier can be complicated enough, especially when you're dealing with a factory car stereo, service and the situation just gets more complex when you add multiple amplifiers to the equation. The most common reason to wire in multiple amps is to have one for your main speakers and a second amplifier for a subwoofer.
How to Wire Multiple Amps in a Car
- Label each cable appropriately, according to the channel type, using masking tape and a pen.
- With that in mind, you have the option to either run separate power cables for each amp, or a single cable that feeds all of them.
- Reinstall the head unit into the mounting chassis and replace the trim bezel.
- Jeremy Laukkonen is a tech writer drawing from experience as a technology ghostwriter and as the creator of a popular blog and a video game startup.
- This article was written by the It Still Works team, copy edited and fact checked through a multi-point auditing system, in efforts to ensure our readers only receive the best information.
- Refer to a vehicle specific repair manual for instructions related to interior trim components and bottom dash cover removal, if necessary.
It Still Works
Check the amplifier connections and reinstall the rear seat cushions, if applicable. The main proviso is that the charging system has to be able to provide enough juice in the first place. In terms of amp wiring, that means getting your power straight from the battery. Determine the wiring path for the power cable leading to the external amplifiers. Brought to you by Techwalla.
How do I Wire RCA Cable for Multiple Amps
- Rather than grounding your amps individually, a distribution block should also be used to provide the ground connection.
- The best way to wire multiple amps to a single power cable is to use a power distribution block.
- You can wire two amplifiers, or even multiple amps, in one car audio system, but it takes some extra planning.
In some cases, internal amp wiring includes preamp pass-through functionality, which allows you to connect multiple amps together. If you add in too many amps, and they draw too much power, you may need to upgrade your alternator or install a stiffening cap. If you do decide to go with multiple amps, the process of multi-amp wiring is similar to single amp setups. The way that you wire your head unit to your amp will depend on the outputs on your head unit. You can use the same ground block for your other audio components, which is also a good way to avoid ground loop issues.
2 amps (Rear and Sub) on 1 rca out
In most cases, a single power cable is the most elegant solution. In a mirror image of the power distribution block, the individual amps should be connected to the ground distribution block, rules girl online which in turn should be connected to a good chassis ground. Disconnect the antenna cable and main wiring harness from the rear of the head unit.